Magic Lantern is a free firmware software add-on that runs from the SD/CF card and adds a host of new features to Canon EOS cameras that weren’t included in Canon Cameras.
Magic Lantern is a firmware add-on for various Canon digital single-lens reflex cameras and the EOS M and is free and open-source.
Some of the features of Magic Lantern are:
- Focus Peaking.
- A spotter in Live View.
- Zebras for Underexposed and overexposed areas.
- HDR Video Recording.
- Full control over the Recording Frame rate.
- Recording 14-bit uncompressed RAW video.
- Magic Zoom window to fine-tune the Focus.
- RGB Histogram with RAW support.
- Manually override exposure settings in Live View.
- Dual ISO.
- Live audio Monitoring through Headphones.
- Custom Auto Focus Patterns.
- Record Voice tags for Photos and Videos.
- Motion Detection.
- Write Lua Scripts and change most Canon settings from scripts.
and many more…
How to Install Magic Lantern
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run the Firmware Update.
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.
Magic Lantern on the Canon 70D – Key Features
Here is a quick review of some of my favorite features in Magic Lantern on the Canon EOS 70D. Also, note that I am not a computer programmer or a software developer – just a fan of Magic Lantern software and a 70D owner.
Magic Lantern and Anamorphic
Magic Lantern is an amazing tool for anyone shooting with Canon cameras, and super useful for anamorphic users.